Little wool felt purse tutorial

My 6 year old and I were designing a wool felt purse for a sewing machine project and she thought it would be a lovely idea to share a simple tutorial for any other young people who would like to give it a try. The template is at the end of the post.
Oh, and I apologise in advance for my less than perfect photos, but as time is of the essence I didn't edit :)


Cut out your 2 pattern pieces. We used some lovely hand dyed rainbow wool felt.



Pin them together like this.


You can machine or hand sew. If you're machine sewing make sure you have an adult there to work with you (this is a photo shot, you need to actually look at what you're doing!)


Sew down either side and across the bottom like this.


We used a snap press to apply a snap closure (a snap press should only be used by a grown up) but you can make whatever closure you like eg. a button, velcro.


Here is another idea for your purse - a ribbon handle! Just stick the ends of the ribbon in either side like this before you sew. You could also cut your pieces of felt out with pinking shears for another pretty effect.


My 4, nearly 5 year old made one too!

Hope you enjoy this tutorial and use your purse for coins, jewellery or any other special trinkets you need a safe place for.


Template. Cut 1 of each.


3 comments:

Marie said...

Great idea for sewing with the kids. I might have to see if I have any fabric suitable and do this with my duaghter.

Unknown said...

What sweet little handbags. They look so proud of there work.

With All That I Am
Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

Sue Elvis said...

Beautiful!

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.