Where it all started (long post!)

My 3 year Youtube channel anniversary came and went without my noticing back in August. I was looking through my list of 159 (!!) videos tonight and noted the date of my first video, way back in 2015.

While these years have flown so fast and so much has happened since I hesitatingly uploaded that first video, I thought it a good time to reflect and share a bit more of my journey with you, particularly if you have only found me recently.

Some of you have been with me almost since that first video, and I believe that I have most to thank you for. It is the first viewers who encouraged me to make more videos, who threw amazing compliments in my direction, and who have shown me so much love these past 3 years.

So, lets go way back to the beginning. Before weaving, I had many, many crafts under my belt. One of them was knitting, which I used to indulge in a great deal until a painful shoulder Repetitive Strain Injury reared it's ugly head and left me just a "sometimes knitter". Anyway, I had learned an immense amount of helpful knitting techniques from kind people on Youtube. When I had been weaving for some time and was really excited about what I was doing and learning (still am!) I had the idea of contributing to the Youtube craft community by sharing a little of what I knew. I borrowed my son's little camcorder, and, with pretty poor visual and even worse audio, I recorded this Waffle Weave on a rigid heddle loom video.


I didn't expect that many people would watch it, and that was fine by me, I just wanted to share with anyone who may be interested. It wasn't long before I started getting comments and very positive feedback. People were asking me to make more videos and I couldn't believe it. Me? Introverted, dull as dishwater housewife me? I was pretty astounded at the response!

I made some more videos and I discovered something about myself. I loved teaching! I had taught my kids at home for a long time (my oldest homeschooler is now 18!), but this was teaching adults something I was really passionate about and I wanted to keep doing that!

As I made the videos, the cost of materials started adding up and I had no job or real income at this time. Youtube had a "paid channels" feature and so, I started one. I charged roughly $2 per person, per month and this enabled me to keep going because people joined and paid. 

In my "spare time" I started putting together some weaving designs to sell in my Etsy shop. I now have 10 designs, and once again, I've been amazed at the response. I also love designing and look forward to continuing doing that. 

Back to Youtube, where it was abruptly announced that the paid channel platform was closing. This left me with a quandary - should I try to find another platform or is this a sign that I should close down. Well, my students came to my rescue and begged me to continue. A short time later, I found a great hosting platform - Teachable and have been with them ever since. Youtube closing the paid channels was a HUGE blessing in so many ways and has allowed to go forward in ways I could not have imagined. If you haven't seen my Online Weaving School, please check it out to see what I'm talking about! 

I now have 40 classes available, including my first floor loom course. Being on a professional platform has challenged me to do better and construct my classes to give students an optimal learning experience. I must be doing something right, because the school continues to grow and I continue to get awesome feedback. Some months I now earn a full time income, which is a dream come true.

All of this has been made possible because people like you support me in so many ways. You support me with your enthusiasm for weaving and learning. You support me financially, which allows me to continue to grow this little business. You support me on a personal level with your kind messages and many prayers over the years. 

A topic that is often discussed in business circles is "success". Success to many, seems to be when you reach 6 figures, as though there is some magic monetary value that means you have made it. Well, if success comes down to 6 figures, I'll leave it, thanks all the same. Am I successful? Yes! Do I earn 6 figures? No, and probably never will. I earn a living (maybe not a lavish one by the opinion of many, but it helps to feed and clothe my family!), I get to do what I absolutely love, and I'm surrounded by wonderful, supportive people. 
Am I successful? Heck, yeah!

I want to thank you all for making this happen. I had no idea that I was capable of running a business that began with a hobby and a passion. My hope is that I can continue to do this for the rest of my life, and with all the plans and ideas I have for my online school for the future, I shouldn't have too much trouble achieving that goal!

God has blessed me abundantly through this venture, I pray He blesses you too!


16 comments:

Penny F. said...

I am truly grateful that I found you and have learned much from your classes. It's a win/win for all of us Kelly. Thank you for all you do.

Joan Edelstein said...

Congratulations, Kelly! How fortunate we all are to be blessed with your love of weaving and teaching. It is because of you that so many of us are reaching new goals and developing new weaving skills every day. We can’t thank you enough.

BMaysStock said...

Hi Kelly,
Having been with you from the beginning, I am grateful that you are out there, teaching and advising. Though I have had to have a break because of life’s new challenges, I will be back to,pick up again, and hopefully add a floor loom into my repertoire! Hope you’re doing well, and keep on teaching!
Sincerely,
Barbara

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you for such a lovely comment Penny :)

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you Joan!

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you Barbara, lovely to hear from you!

Unknown said...

Thank you again for the great learning videos. I am fairly new to weaving and your videos have been of real value to me. Some I’ve watched several times. I like to watch them on my TV while I’m weaving. Haha. Some days I just can’t get enough🤗. I have also been thinking about learning the floor loom so I’ll be watching for those to come out. Thank you from Idaho.

Unknown said...

I also want to congratulate you, it cannot be easy to start a business. But you did it!!!
And all of your students benefit from your tenacity. I have learned so much from you and hope that I can continue to tap into your expertise. The only reason I started with weaving is because I stumbled across your videos on youtube.
So thank you very much for putting so much effort into teaching us all.

Brigitte

caluad said...

Finding your YouTube videos was the beginning of my weaving adventure. Your teachable courses have allowed me to keep on learning and have inspired me . Thank you very much. You are a great teacher, believe me, as a former teacher I recognise the good ones. Besides, I feel you are a wonderful person.
Valentina Cuadrado

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you dear Brigitte!

Dorothy said...

A couple years ago I was living in an area where a LYS that hosted Weave Night and had a rigid heddle class. I bought my first loom and puttered with it a bit. Then... we moved to Florida and I can't for the life of me find anyone who even knows what a rigid heddle loom is. All my freshly gained knowledge was getting rusty (and the loom dusty) and I decided I must find something online. And as God would have it - there you were. I'm just finishing boot camp and subscribed to an annual membership. I love your style, Kelly and am so happy to hear your background. I look forward to many more weaving projects... together! Warm thanks for providing such a great resource and an opportunity to know you on a distant part of the globe.

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you Dorothy, it's wonderful to have you on the journey :)

Felicia from SweetGeorgia said...

Congratulations Kelly!! So thrilled for you and the joy you have found in teaching and sharing your passions. Wishing you many more anniversaries!!!

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you Felicia!

Lorna said...

Kelly, I love your enthusiasm for weaving and teaching. I too am a teacher, or was. I taught in Primary school until I retired and now I weave and spin and enjoy your videos and teachings, which you are very good at. You pitch them perfectly. My 10 year old granddaughter also enjoys watching your videos as she too is an avid weaver. Keep up the good work, but remember to take time out for yourself and your family. I know how teachers can be!xx

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you, Lorna!

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.