Making yoghurt with from a culture with an Easiyo

Some time ago I wrote this post about making your own yoghurt using store bought natural yoghurt. I do things a little differently these days by using a freeze dried yoghurt culture and an Easiyo maker. Here is what I do:


Measure out a litre of milk into the Easiyo inner container (the one on the left).


Heat the milk on the stove to 90 degrees (C), then let it cool to 45 degrees (C).


This is what the freeze dried culture looks like. A little lasts a long time as you use about 1/10th of a teaspoon per litre of milk. You can buy it from Cheeslinks. So, the next step is to whisk the culture into the warm milk.


Fill the Easiyo white container with hot water to the level recommended (you get full instructions with the maker when you buy it). Pop on the lid and let it sit for at least 8 hours, but for a nice firm set leave it longer, overnight is good. Take the yoghurt out and keeping it in the Easiyo container let it chill in the fridge.

*Variations: 
- I have successfully varied plain natural yoghurt by adding a tablespoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Add them in at the same time as the culture.

- Add a little vanilla extract with some honey or sugar for a sweeter vanilla flavour.

-After the yoghurt is set, add fruit of your choice.

-If you like a thick yoghurt, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk powder as the milk is heating.

- I also wrote this post on making your own yoghurt cheese or spread.



4 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Kelly,

I have an Easiyo yoghurt maker! Oh, I like the idea of using your own milk and starter much better than using those dried packets that are sold with the yoghurt maker. I had a look at the Cheeslinks site. There are two starters. I think they were named C1 and C3. Which is the one you use?

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try this. We love yoghurt!

Kelly Casanova said...

Hi Sue :)
I use C1 - I haven't tried C3, which I would probably like but I knew the children were more likely to eat plain natural yoghurt if it wasn't too strong or sour.

God bless

Tanya said...

Hi Kelly, that's similar to what I do. I use their type c 'abt' starter with raw milk, so omit the heating to 90. Like your flavour suggestions, thanks

Kelly Casanova said...

Tanya, is the raw milk from one of your own animals or do you buy it?

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.