First soap batch :)


Woohoo, I finally did it! Something I've wanted to do but put off for years (too expensive an outlay for equipment, too scary!) Those were my excuses anyway.

After chatting with Julie I realise this was something I could do on a really tight budget. I got a cheap stockpot that was missing a lid, inexpensive silicon mould and stick blender, husband fashioned a curing rack for me out of bamboo from our backyard and probably the most expensive ingredient was the coconut oil, which I had to order online.

I used this basic recipe and found the whole process very easy (how cool to watch that beautiful saponification process!) Using lye is not fun but entirely manageable when you follow the safety precautions really carefully.

Now for the really hard part - waiting 4 weeks for the soap to cure!

6 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Hooray! I just started making soap from my goats and yes, the oils are the most expensive part.

enjoy your new soap.

Linda said...

Oooh, lovely soap and thanks so much for the link to the recipe. I did make soap once but it didn't cure and harden properly, I am looking forward to trying your recipe:)
Have a lovely weekend.
Linda

EMMA said...

Soaps look great. I've never tried, the lye part scares me!

Happy Whimsical Hearts said...

Your soap looks wonderful. Making soap has also being on my to-try list for ages, I will be checking out the recipe you followed :-)

Maria from Cuddle Bug Kids said...

How fun! I've always wanted to try soap making!

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Gratz on your first soap. It looks wonderful, almost edible. And I totally agree the hardest part of soaping is the waiting time while the soap cures. There's only one thing that helps. Make more soap while waiting! No worries soap can hardly get too old. I found some really old ones while cleaning an old cupboard, and I'm looking forward to trying them.

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.