The Craft and Quilt Fair and handling rejection

I was really excited about attending the C & Q Fair so perhaps my expectations were too high. The last time I went was 2 years ago and basically nothing much has changed. I did make a few purchases that I'm happy with, but as far as inspiration goes the fair did little for me. I guess by going on the last day you would expect some frayed tempers and tired stall holders - I know I would be.

And now to rejection. Yes, I've just had another magazine rejection which leads me to contemplate whether anyone is actually interested in what I do, whether I should be bothering to do this design course, whether I should be thinking I can make it as a designer / artist / craftist?!!
Rejection sure does hurt, but I know I'll get back on the horse - what else can I do? I love to design, I love to make things and I love the artistic skill involved in what I do. So, even minus the accolades I will keep on doing what I feel driven to do.

How do you handle rejection?

5 comments:

willow and moo said...

Oh huge (((hugs))) Kel. Rejection sucks. You know how I handle it? I get all uppity and say they don't actually know what they are missing out on and it's their loss, etc.

And you know what...in their case they ARE!!! They are totally missing out. I think you are so very talented.

Kelly Casanova said...

Sniff, thanks so much for the kind words Sara :)

cherri said...

Cheer up - maybe your time will come a little later on...

In the meantime I love your blog and crafty talents!

softearthart said...

Hi, I feel that your work is out there,it needs to be seen by more people, heart peoples work that you like on Etsy,send them a convo,(short and sweet) building connections. Do not look to anyone else, to fix,buy,sell, etc your art. It is your journey that you are on. Say positive affirmations every morning,so that your thoughts of being successful go out into the universe, they will be heard and picked up when you are ready. Sometimes one needs to wait, but if you love what you do, then keep on doing it, love and light Marie

Once Upon A Doll said...

I am a writer, so I am used to rejection. My last project took EIGHT YEARS to publish (and that is from when I finished it) and it will be released in Spring of 2011...I have my favorite books and movies that generally help me recover from rejection...and of course long nature hikes, massages, and bubble baths...and then there is always laughing with my children. Don't give up--sometimes it takes a long time to find the right publisher! I speak from MUCH personal experience!!!

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.