Bread baking

I don't get nearly enough time for baking bread these days, I can't wait to get back to baking instead of buying again. The very cool and wintery conditions here have me pining for baking (and eating) hot bread again so I thought I'd try some online recipes.



First up was the essential winter indulgence, raisin bread. I used a recipe from here. I made a few modifications. The recipe says for two loaves, however there was only enough dough for one loaf. The result: a nice tasting loaf but very crumbly (you can see it falling apart a little after being cut). The children like it though, and we all had raisin toast for breakfast. Very nice!




Now here is something I've never tried - Challah, a traditional Jewish bread. This one is good if you have surplus eggs, as I do at the moment. Mine turned out a little less attractive than some, but you have to love that shine on the crust! The recipe was from here  and was very nice when eaten warm - moist and sweet. Unfortunately it's a bit of a write off today, but still ok for toast.

No comments:

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.