Family Finance 4. False economy?

I'm always willing to try "home brand" products and many offer a true saving for a product equal to brand names. You do however have to be selective and be aware of certain pros and cons. Here is an example:
I recently bought "home brand" liquid soap. We go through a lot of liquid soap with young children in the house there is a lot of handwashing to be done. After it was all used up I bought a brand name soap to compare. I found I can use about a quarter of a squirt of the brand name, as opposed to 1 - 2 squirts of the "home brand". Therefore, I'll keep buying the brand name soap.
Another example is toilet paper. I buy middle to high range quality paper as the cheap paper disintegrates on contact with moisture, therefore you have to use about 3 times as much.
There are some "home brand" products I've used for a long time that are just as good as others, such as flour.
So, try all products but be aware that "cheap" products won't always save you money.

1 comment:

Chrisy said...

...so true...and many home brands are supporting big corporations too...

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.