Homeschooling thoughts

I don't usually volunteer to strangers the fact that we are a homeschooling family, however, naturally when you take a school aged child out on a school day many people want to know why. The responses I get vary between extremely positive to extremely shocked to extremely bewildered. But everyone asks the same things "Why do you do that?". I often say "because it works really well for our family" and don't really go into much detail as some people are sensitive and actually find it offensive that you don't do what they do. Yes, it does work well for us, but there is so much more to it than that. One of the main reasons is we want our children to grow and learn in our faith. Another reason is my husband and I had negative school experiences. Another reason is I think our home environment has a lot to offer our children. But there is one thing that sticks in my mind - the day my first child was born. If someone had sauntered into the operating theatre when I was gazing lovingly upon this new indivdual my husband and I had been blessed with and said "I'm sorry, but I need to take this child away from you for at least 6 hours a day as I don't think you're capable of caring for him and teaching him. You can have him back in the evenings though!" do you think that would be acceptable?
What do you think?

2 comments:

Jetta's Nest said...

Personally, I think you're amazing! I'd love to homeschool, but worry that I don't have the patience at times. I'm sure you're very proud of what you're doing and your comment has definately given me something to think on.

Kelly Casanova said...

Thanks for your comment Xiola. I think everyone feels overwhelmed before they embark on homeschooling, not knowing how it will work out, and for some it doesn't work out. However, most homeschoolers find its much easier than they thought and the child/ren respond very positively.

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.