banana cake

I've made a lot of banana cakes over the years, but this is my all time favourite recipe. Try it, the kids will love it!





125g softened butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe banana
few drops vanilla essence or extract
250 g plain flour
1 tspn bicarb soda
pinch salt
.5 tspn cinnamon
1/8 tspn ground allspice
1/2 cup buttermilk or
1/2 cup milk + 1 tspn lemon juice

Oil a 20cm cake tin, line with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Cream butter & sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, banana and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Spoon into tin and bake 45 minutes or until cake tests clean. Cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out.

Variation: Combine 3 tablespoons coursely chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons self raising flour, 1.5 tspns ground cinnamon, 100g softened butter and 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Scatter over uncooked cake and bake as above.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Oh yummy I LOVE banana cake. I have just made one myself, but with a cream cheese topping - mix together some cream cheese, butter & icing sugar!!

Kelly Casanova said...

I love that icing too, in fact I could eat it by the spoonful! (Thats probably why I don't make it too often!)

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.