Project patience

I am working on the most beautiful shawl. After a run of towels I felt the need to weave something really beautiful. I love shawls, the drape, the practicality, the loveliness, so it wasn't a hard choice. I had this stunning tencel that I had hand dyed ages ago and wound into a warp ready for a scarf.


But, I changed my mind and decided I needed it for the shawl instead! Plenty of time and unwinding later, I was ready to wind a shawl warp instead. The warp went onto the loom like a dream, in fact tencel itself is rather dreamy.

The threading is the part that takes me the longest and I'm hoping my speed will increase eventually. After pusing myself to work late one night, I finally had the reed sleyed and the warp tied on. I was ready to weave!
Except I wasn't.
I had put the reed and beater on backwards. Yes, I actually did that! Untie the warp, unsley the reed, remove it, turn it around, re-sley the reed, re-tie the warp and presto, I really was ready to weave this time.

I chose another hand dyed tencel that I thought would contrast well and began. Uh oh. The tencel I had chosen for the weft was variegated. The pattern got lost in the busy-ness of the warp. I realised this was a possibility when I chose it as weft but decided to chance it anyway. It took me a couple of inches of weaving to realise it wasn't going to work. Enter un-weaving (not nearly as fun as weaving, trust me!)

So.... (this is starting to read a bit like a drama and it sure as heck started to feel like one!) I chose a lovely mercerised cotton in Peacock as the weft and away I went. Ah, much better.
Then I realised. Some selvedge warp threads had broken and fallen away from the reed. When had that happened? I had no idea, but it was definitely a problem! My selvedge on that side was looking quite un-perfect. 


Fortunately this was a fairly quick fix and I was back into the weaving. I'm about a quarter of the way through now, I wonder what other treats and surprises the next three quarters has in store for me!

3 comments:

Shelley Pinnell said...

I love the colours, they are beautiful, shimmery, if that's a word!
Will watch the growth of your shawl with interest!

Kelly Casanova said...

Thank you Shelley :)

Mary said...

Beautiful Kelly! I always love to see your hand dyed yarns, I haven't tried this yet but someday... They are always so gorgeous and unique!

I'm finding floor loom is much more of a drama than rigid heddle for sure. Most recently tried Jane Stafford's single cross at the back method, the whole warp has to go through the lease sticks, ended up with tangles and broken threads everywhere.. cut it off, lost the cross. Now I have yards of salvaged chained warp threads that would be ok to use, maybe.. but no cross! I just put them away for now. Threading cross at the front for me from now on!

Wonderful to go back to RH every now and then for the joy of a more simple (and much quicker) project. Looking forward to the Krokbragd weave along! Love to use mug rugs to set needles on while working.

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.